Dirty Gerty's Hurdy Gurdy

GERTYHURDYGURDY

GERTYHURDYGURDY
Only the poem knows what's true

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spellbound...

I suppose you could say I am spellbound. And, if I call myself what I am, La Somnambule, sleep-bound too. It's a little after midnight. I'm quite fatigued, so, dear reader(s)?, this will be brief.

I was fortunate enough to see Hitchcock(s) Spellbound today. And something other than the quote from Shakespeare that introduces the film, the one about blame not being in the stars but ourselves, something other than that intrigued me. The music. I once took a film class and the PHD student teaching it said music anchors films. The music from Spellbound verged from eerie to romantic, and switched in an invisible instant. I was pleased to see it won an Oscar just for that.

Another aspect of the film I found intriguing was the dream sequence. As all "buffs," which I am not, know, developed by Salvador Dali. Is it just me, or do the symbols in the dream representative of reality, in an amnesiac's mind, say something about surrealism? And the collective amnesia inherent in humanity? Is surrealism kind of, despite its other implications, an attempt to "unlock" our collective consciousness? And find therein some value to life, or maybe the value that only "neverness" can come of "everness?"

I was reading Nietzsche via Heidegger a while back. And the one thing I liked, that all philosophers fret upon, focus on, especially Nietzsche, according to Heidegger, is what we are. Why we're here, etc., And my answer is, we're matter. The Large Hadron Collider will tantamount this. We're a beautiful, tragic spectacle of it, but really, that's what we are. All all we can do is embody that cliche, live for the moment, even if in the moment you have no remembrance of things past (yes I abuse Proust sometimes in my phrasings)!

Amnesia is good because it erases the rhythms that might stymie us. But it also erases the rhythms that pull us forward. If amnesia is good for anything, it's remembrance. Perhaps that's the greatest lesson I learned from the film. Amnesia has peculiar rhythms... Persephone plucking Asphodel... etc.,

I best be off to sleep. And, FYI, that bit from my previous blog, though, about Twain, was an article he wrote for Harper's. He was at some government meeting, in Vienna. Quoth the stupid blogger (ME)! And she affirms it may have been in the 90's, which, in her time, was the 1890's.

It's time to bid adieu...

Bonne Nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment